The name “le Marche” is from the Frankish word that means “the border.” This corner of Tuscany and le Marche has long been a border region and a crossroads for centuries.

The Commune of Sestino currently has 1,500 residents – less than half of its population in 1950, and fewer than in the Middle Ages. Sestino has prehistoric origins and has been ruled by the Etruscans, the Romans, the Malatesta family, the delle Rovere family, the Papal state, and the Duke of Urbino (the Montefeltro family).

In 1520, Pope Leone X gave Sestino to Florence to settle a war debt incurred by the Pontiff with Florentine Bankers, and the town has remained part of Tuscany ever since.

The park of Sasso Simone also contains the ruins of an ideal fortress city that Cosimo Medici the 1st began building but never finished in the 1500s.

More recently, the Foglia and Metauro river valleys were scenes of battles along the Gothic Line in World War II. Local partisans played an important role in the war.

We will be writing more about the history of East Tuscany and le Marche as time permits, but in the meantime, you can learn more through these links: